PEN-F Support Topics
What differentiates the PEN-F from the E-P5?
|Effective Pixels||20.30 million pixels||16.05 million pixels|
|Image Processing||TruePic VII||TruePic VI|
|Sensor Type||4/3 Live MOS Sensor|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto: ISO LOW (approx. 80) - 25600
(Default: LOW - 1600)
Manual: LOW, ISO 200 - 25600
|Auto: ISO LOW (approx. 100) - 25600
(Default: LOW - 1600)
Manual: LOW, ISO 200 - 25600
|Built-in Flash||Not available
External flash FL-LM3 (bundled)
|Accessory Port (AP2)||Not available||Available|
Approx. 2,360,000 dots
External viewfinder (sold separately)
|Monitor||3.0 inches, dual-axis adjustable LCD
Approx. 1,040,000 dots (3:2) / Touch Panel
|3.0 inches, tilting adjustable LCD
Approx. 1,040,000 dots (3:2) / Touch Pane
|iAUTO / P / A / S / M / C1 / C2 / C3* / C4* / Movie
||iAUTO / P / A / S / M / Movie / Photo Story / SCN / ART|
Picture mode / CRT / ART / COLOR / MONO
|Exposure Compensation Dial||Available||Not available|
|Focusing Points||81 points||35 points|
|Focusing Target Mode||All Target
Group Target (9 out of 81points)
Group Target (9 out of 35 points)
|All direction IS / Vertical IS / Horizontal IS / Panning IS
||All direction IS / Vertical IS / Horizontal IS / Panning IS|
|Multi motion IS (M-IS)
M-IS1 / M-IS2 / OFF
|Multi motion IS (M-IS)
ON / OFF
|Sequential Shooting Speed
(Sequential shooting H mode, when image stabilizer is Off)
|Approx. 10 fps||Approx. 9 fps|
|Shutter Speed||Mechanical shutter: 1/8000 - 60 sec.
Electronic first curtain shutter (Anti shock mode): 1/320 - 60 sec.
Electronic shutter (Silent mode): 1/16000 - 60 sec.
|Mechanical shutter: 1/8000 - 60 sec.|
(in mechanical shutter)
|0.044 sec. (minimum)||0.051 sec. (minimum)|
|Bracketing||AE / ISO / White Balance / Flash / Art Filter / Focus||AE / ISO / White Balance / Flash / Art Filter / HDR|
|Live Bulb / Live Time shooting||30 min. (maximum)|
|Live Composite||Available||Not available|
|Digital Shift||Available||Not available|
|High Res Shot||Available
Equivalent to 50M pixel
8160 x 6120 (JPEG)
10368 x 7776 (RAW)
|Interval Shooting||Interval time: 1 sec. - 24 hours
Number of storable pictures: 999 frames max.
|Interval time: 1 sec. - 24 hours
Number of storable pictures: 99 frames max
|AVI Motion JPEG
3840 x 2160 (4K) / 5fps
1920 x 1080 (Full HD) / 5fps, 10fps, 15fps
1280 x 720 (HD) / 5fps, 10fps, 15fps, 30fps
|AVI Motion JPEG
1280 x 720 (HD) / 10fps
|Focus Mode||Single AF (S-AF) / Continuous AF (C-AF) / Manual Focus (MF) / S-AF+MF (S-AF and MF combined) / AF tracking (C-AF + TR)
|Zoom frame AF / Zoom AF||Available
Zoom ratio: 3x / 5x / 7x / 10x / 14x
Zoom ratio: 5x / 7x / 10x / 14x
|Picture Mode||i-Enhance / Vivid / Natural / Muted / Portrait / Monochrome / Custom / Art filter / e-Portrait / Color Creator / Color Profile Control / Monochrome Profile Control||i-Enhance / Vivid / Natural / Muted / Portrait / Monochrome / Custom / Art filter|
|Art Filter||14 Art Filters
(Art filter variation and 9 art effects available)
|12 Art Filters
(Art filter variation and 7 art effects available)
|Photo Story||Standard / Fun Frames / Speed / Zoom In, Out / Layout||Standard / Fun Frames|
|Movie Recording||MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, AVI (Motion JPEG)|
|Recording Image Size / Frame Rate / Compression||[MOV]
|Movie Effect||Multi Echo / One Shot Echo / Art Fade / Old Film||Multi Echo / One Shot Echo / Art Fade|
|Lens Info Settings
(Save lens info for lenses without electronic contacts)
|Up to 10 lenses||-|
(SDHC, SDXC, UHS-II compatible, Eye-Fi)
(SDHC, SDXC, UHS-I compatible, Eye-Fi)
(when using Smartphone application OI.Share)
|Number of Recordable Pictures
(based on CIPA standard)
|330 shots||400 shots|
|Battery||Lithium-ion rechargeable battery BLN-1|
|HDMI output connector||HDMI Micro Connector (Type D)|
|124.8 mm (W) x 72.1 mm (H) x 37.3 mm (D) / 4.9" (W) x 2.8" (H) x 1.5" (D)||122.3 mm (W) x 68.9 mm (H) x 37.2 mm (D) / 4.8" (W) x 2.7" (H) x 1.5" (D)|
|Color||Silver, Black||Silver, Black, White|
(Packaged with the Camera)
|OLYMPUS Viewer 3|
|Dust-proof, Splash-proof||Not available|
(Battery and Media Card Included)
|Approx. 427g||Approx. 420g|
|Release Date||February 2016||June 2013|
What comes packaged with the camera?
- PEN-F camera body
- Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery (BLN-1)
- Lithium-ion Battery Charger (BCN-1)
- Flash (FL-LM3)
- USB cable (CB-USB6)
- Body Cap
- Shoulder Strap
- Flash Case
- Software CD-ROM
OLYMPUS Viewer 3 (Windows / Mac)
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
Approximately how many shots can be taken with a fully-charged battery?
(using the Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery BLN-1 and 32 GB Toshiba SDHC UHS-I EXCERIA™ Type1 card)
What type of memory card can I use with this model?
The following table shows the types of memory cards that can be used:✔: compatible, ×: not compatible
|SD card||SDHC card||SDXC card||Eye-Fi card||xD Picture Card||CompactFlas|
To see the list of compatible SD / SDHC / SDXC cards and Eye-Fi cards , click here:
What are the compression rates, and what size are the image files in each record mode?
The following table shows the approximate values when shooting still pictures in the 4:3 aspect ratio.
|Recording Mode||Number of Pixels||Compression Rate||File Format||Number of Storable Pictures
8GB SD / SDHC / SDXC Card
|File Size (Approx.)|
SL (Super Large)
|10368 x 7776||Uncompressed||ORF||42||125.2 MB|
|8160 x 6120||1/4||JPEG||22.1 MB|
|5184 x 3888||Lossless Compression||ORI||21.5 MB|
|SL||F||8160 x 6120||1/4||JPEG||310||22.1 MB|
|RAW||5184 x 3888||Lossless Compression||ORF||341||21.5 MB|
|SF||3200 x 2400||1/2.7||1,245||5.6 MB|
|SF||2560 x 1920||1/2.7||2,160||3.2 MB|
|SF||1920 x 1440||1/2.7||3,814||1.8 MB|
|SF||1600 x 1200||1/2.7||5,424||1.3 MB|
|SF||1280 x 960||1/2.7||8,137||0.9 MB|
|SF||1024 x 768||1/2.7||12,206||0.6 MB|
|SF||640 x 480||1/2.7||27,124||0.3 MB|
- The same image (Olympus' standard image) is used to calculate the photo capacity and file size in each mode.
- The capacity depends on the image quality, the type of memory card or whether print reservation is enabled. The number of remaining pictures on the LCD may not change even when a picture is taken or deleted.
- The capacity in this table differs from the number of remaining pictures displayed on the LCD. This table shows the approximate number, but the camera shows the maximum (up to 9999).
How many pictures can be taken sequentially per second?
While the shutter button is fully depressed, you can shoot approximately 10.0 frames per second (max.).
|Image Quality||Shooting mode||Sequential Shooting Speed||Recordable Pictures on Sequential Shooting|
||Approx. 10.0 frames per second (when image stabilization is OFF)||Approx. 39 frames|
||Approx. 5.0 frames per second||Approx. 250 frames|
||Approx. 10.0 frames per second (when image stabilization is OFF)||Approx.. 45 frames|
||Approx. 5.0 frames per second||Up to card capacity|
- * When using the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ lens
- * When using the Toshiba SDHC UHS-II R260・W240 EXCERIA™ PRO card, based on Olympus testing
- In S-AF or MF mode, focus and exposure are locked at the first frame.
- When shooting in sequential shooting H mode, focus, exposure, and white balance are locked at the first frame. (in S-AF or MF mode)
- In sequential shooting H mode, the last picture taken is displayed briefly after the shutter button is pressed.
- When shooting in sequential shooting L mode, focus and exposure are fixed based on the AF mode and AEL / AFL mode.
- In sequential shooting L mode, the pictures taken are not displayed. You can playback the pictures after shooting.
In silent sequential shooting, you can shoot approximately 20.0 fps.
With silent sequential shooting, you can shoot without making a sound in situations where the shutter sound is a problem.
Shooting is performed using electronic shutters for both the front and rear curtains so that the miniscule camera shaking caused by shutter movements can be reduced.
There are some restrictions on the use of silent sequential shooting:
- Shutter speed is restricted to 1/16000 - 1/25 sec.
- If the subject is moving, it may cause distortion in the image.
- Distortion of the image may occur due to flickering from large movements of the subject or fluorescent lighting.
- Self-timer and flash photography are not supported.
- Sequential shooting speed may be slower according to the shooting condition.
- Sequential shooting speed may differ according to the lens you use or its zoom position.
- When the battery check icon blinks because of low battery power, the camera stops the shooting and starts to store the pictures.
Depending on the amount of power remaining in the battery, the camera may not be able to store all pictures.
How long is the shutter-release lag time?
After the shutter button is pressed halfway, it takes about 0.044 second to release the shutter. (in mechanical shutter, confirmed by Olympus' internal testing)
Is the Digital Tele-converter function available with any kinds of lenses attached?
- Digital Tele-converter is not available with multiple exposures, in
(PHOTO STORY) mode or when (3D Photo), (Panorama), (Fisheye Effect), (Wide-Angle) or (Macro) is selected in SCN mode.
- When a RAW photo is displayed in playback, the area that you enlarged on the monitor using Digital Tele-converter is indicated by a white frame.
- This function is not available when Movie Effect is On in movie mode.
- While using the Digital Tele-converter, the number of AF targets decreases.
Where can I find the instruction manual for my camera?
You can find the manual online. You can either read it online or download the instruction manual for your camera.
See the following Web page to find the available manuals: